Our "LT"

Our "LT"

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Today is the 1st day of the rest of my life...

Today is the 1st day of the rest of my life..I was talking tonight on the phone with my friend. She is one of my fellow warrior wives and we were talking about some of the finer things we were dealing with today when it hit me. I should be writing some of this down if only just to get it out of my head and so I can move on to other things. I am not a writer and never in my life have I blogged but I am going to give it a try. I am The Captains wife. I am married to The Captain and we have been married 14 years and together over 15.  The Captain is a retired United States Marine. He is one of those rare Mustang Officers. He served almost 12 years before he made the choice to leave and come home to try to face the demons of what happened to him on and before April 13th 2004. That is the day he was severely wounded in the 1st Battle of Fallujah. The Captain was a Corporal when I married him but I was with him when he stood on those yellow foot prints and I was there when the papers saying he was no longer serving arrived in the mail. He is a limb salvage. The doctor we just visited said "one of the most complicated I have ever seen", ya think? He is missing his entire hamstring and he can walk. Freaky isn't it? He has a lot of nerve damage to that leg. Taking an RPG, Rocket Propelled Grenade, to your leg tends to do things like that. Note the sarcasm there right? He also has  18 cracked teeth, a tear to his right retina, and brain damage that all went undetected for years. He is partially blind now which is interesting because one day he came in to me and said I can't see out of the side of my right eye. Several weird surgeries later (they injected a bubble in his eye once) and he is partially blind. It makes for an interesting walk in the mall with him so if you are ever out together on a stroll go with the left side ;)
The Captain also has Combat PTSD.  The mental part of this journey has been the hardest. I have seen him struggle for almost 7 years with the mental scars of this war. I have my own scars. I have my own triggers. In 2008 I found myself in a deadly situation against my husband and by the grace of God, my lord and savior, I am here today to talk about this. Some of this may be offensive to you. Some of it may be funny..but it will all be my life. I hope it will open your eyes to what I and many others like me have to live through when our warriors come home forever changed.

2 comments:

  1. Great Job Renee!! I am proud of you!!! I so would have stolen this background had I found it first!!!!

    ReplyDelete