Our "LT"

Our "LT"

Sunday, June 10, 2012

CALIFORNIA OR BUST

I had to come and tell you all about our trip we made. The Captain and I went to Camp Pendleton. It was the first time we had been back since 2005. I watched the Captain pin a Silver Star in 2005 on one of my heros. This trip was one where we were invited to watch The Captains former company commander take over the 1st Marine Regiment. It was an amazing time. I can't tell you how great it was to see the faces of people who molded us as a Marine family. We also stopped and visited the memorial to the fallen for 5th Marines. It was moving and I am so glad we were able to go. It was peaceful but hard to touch and run your finger across the names of Marines you once had dinner with, or just had conversation with right as they were leaving for deployment. It really puts life in perspective for me. They are all missed but never forgotten. It was just so beautiful. I sat down on the ground and watched the Captain stand there for a while and then he walked around the area. It was silent but I could hear the wind blowing. I knew how hard it was for him to be there. We had all the time in the world and I was not going to rush him or ask him any questions. At the ceremony we attended we ran into the family of one of The Captains mentors who was KIA in Iraq. It's amazing how much this Marines son looked just like him. I noticed The Captain getting a little moved by this and I just squeezed his hand a little tighter. We gathered after the ceremony at the home of our friend and stayed a few hours. The Marine Corps is a small family and I truly miss it. I know the Captain does. I could see it in his eyes the entire time we were there. We were able to go have lunch at one of our favorite places in San Clemente. It was the first place I had Asian food in 1997. The Captain and I laughed about the day we first found this place and how much we loved being there. It lifted our spirits. We also were able to have dinner with a few of "his boys" while we were there. All I can say is it was amazing to be able to put my arms around them again. I can never tell them enough how much we love them and how thankful we are they saved The Captain. We are home now and its good to be back. The girls missed us and I love getting back into the comfort of being here in our new normal. I think this trip was really good for the both of us. We shed some tears and really had some time to reflect on the impact the Marine Corps had on both of us. Semper Fi to you all... Only Always The Captains wife

No comments:

Post a Comment