Our "LT"

Our "LT"

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Hope..

I had a great conversation today with a Federal Recovery Coordinator. I had no idea who or what they really were until today. I am so excited about what they are possibly going to be able to help the Captain with. Have you hear the saying "You've come a long way baby" well let me tell you, the government and military really have when it comes to the wounded. When the Captain was wounded in 2004 there was nothing in place. This country was not ready for what was coming. When we checking into Brook Army Medical Center from Germany they had to remove a civilian about to go to surgery from a motorcycle accident to work on The Captain. I also was told "we don't speak Marine". I, like may other spouses and parents had to navigate the system alone. There were no liaisons, nothing. We made it to where we are today without them. I am so happy to hear there is someone out there who can help us go through the system to help us see a doctor at Walter Reed. I am hopeful today. I pray this will be a good road to where we need to go...

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I just wanted to take a moment to write and tell you how important it is for you to be writing this blog. I am the daughter of two retired Army colonels, the sister of a Captain in the Army, and the wife of a wounded Veteran. My husband is a T7 paraplegic. Only, he wasn't wounded in the war...he was wounded in a drunk driving wreck in 2005. Because he had been in the Army and the reserves for eight years he was able to be treated at the VA. As much as I hate the VA, I am so grateful that he was able to receive care there because otherwise his insurance would have run out and I don't know what we would have done. I was not married to him at the time of his injury. We were engaged ten years ago, broke up, I was married, had two kids and in the midst of a separation when we reconnected. Nuts. He is and always has been the love of my life. As a nurse, I have been so humbled by his courage and strength. I had no idea how painful his injury could be. I had no idea a paraplegic would have chronic pain. Duh. His pain is nightmarish and so difficult to deal with. At times I feel more like a nurse than a wife.
    Over the past year I've transitioned from nursing to photography, which I love.
    Anyway, just wanted to reach out and say hello. I read your post about being a wounded warrior vs. just being wounded and it touched me. I get it. As awful as my husband's injury and as much as he has been through, he is ashamed that he is considered a wounded veteran compared to so many of those who have served and been injured. He often speaks at the VA to injured soldiers.
    Please take care and keep writing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your kind words. You and your husband both sound like amazing people.

    ReplyDelete